Terms of Service
Created on 18th Nov 2020
Updated on 16th May 2023.
Please read these terms of service ("terms", "terms of service") carefully before using the Whiteboard.fi website (the "service") operated by Digital Teaching Tools Finland Ltd ("us", “we”, “our”, “the company”).
Conditions of use
We will provide their services to you, which are subject to the conditions stated below in this document.
Every time you visit this website, use its services or make a purchase, you accept the following conditions.
This is why we urge you to read them carefully.
You need to be 18 years or older in order to create a teacher account or a class on the service.
If you are entering into this Agreement on behalf of a company or other legal entity (including if you are School Personnel entering on behalf of our school), you represent that you have the authority to bind such entity to these terms and conditions, in which case the terms "you", "your" or "User" shall refer to such entity. If you do not have such authority, or if you do not agree with these terms and conditions, you must not accept this Agreement and may not use the Service.
Usage of Whiteboard.fi
Teacher will create a new whiteboard sessions and invite students to it. Depending of the teacher's subscription, the sessions and the session data is stored from 2 hours to 365 days, or when the teacher clears or deletes the session. The service doesn’t provide student accounts and no login credentials are needed from students. Students will always participate in classes on a one-time basis. The students can be uniquely identified by using Clever.com.
Content available on this website (digital downloads, images, texts, graphics, logos) is the property of the service and/or its content creators and protected by international copyright laws. The entire compilation of the content found on this website is the exclusive property of the company. The ownership of the content published by the user is not transferred to the company, and the user is responsible for following applicable copyright laws regarding the published content.
The entire communication with us is electronic. Every time you send us an email or visit our website, you are going to be communicating with us. You hereby consent to receive communications from us. If you subscribe to the news on our website, you are going to receive regular emails from us. We will continue to communicate with you by posting news and notices on our website and by sending you emails. You also agree that all notices, disclosures, agreements and other communications we provide to you electronically meet the legal requirements that such communications be in writing.
If a teacher decides to utilize Whiteboard.fi and allow students who are under the age of 13 to submit their school work such as answers, statements, or other information, they must either obtain parent permission prior to using the Whiteboard.fi service, or choose to act as the agent of the parent and provide consent on their behalf.
The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) protects the online privacy of children under the age of 13 and requires Whiteboard.fi to obtain parental consent or notice (as appropriate) prior to the collection, use and disclosure of that child's personal information.
Currently, Whiteboard relies on the School teacher to agree to act as the parent's agent, and provide consent on their behalf to use Whiteboard solely in the educational context. This form is commonly referred to as "school consent".
If you are a teacher signing up for the Whiteboard.fi service, please ensure you have the authority to act as the parent's agent before collecting, using and disclosing any information from children under the age of 13.
By visiting this website, you agree that the laws of Finland, without regard to principles of conflict laws, will govern these terms of service, or any dispute of any sort that might come between the company and you, or its business partners and associates.
Any dispute related in any way to your visit to this website or to products you purchase from us shall be arbitrated by the state or federal court of Finland and you consent to exclusive jurisdiction and venue of such courts.
Visitors may post content as long as it is not obscene, illegal, defamatory, threatening, infringing of intellectual property rights, invasive of privacy or injurious in any other way to third parties. Content has to be free of software viruses, political campaign, and commercial solicitation. We reserve all rights (but not the obligation) to remove and/or edit such content.
License and Site Access
We grant you a limited license to access and make personal use of this website. You are not allowed to download or modify it. This may be done only with written consent from us.
If you are an owner of an account on this website, you are solely responsible for maintaining the
confidentiality of your private user details (username and password). You are responsible for all activities
that occur under your account or password.
We reserve all rights to terminate accounts, edit or remove content and cancel orders in their sole discretion.
FERPA and California AB 1584
FERPA protects data, including, personally identifiable information in student’s “educational records” from unauthorized disclosure. FERPA also provides parents the right to have the records amended and the right to have some control over the disclosure of data, including, personally identifiable information from student’s education records. The purpose of FERPA and its regulations is to set out the requirements for the protection of Children, parents and Eligible students.
Regarding FERPA and California AB 1584 (Buchanan) Privacy of Pupil Records: 3rd-Party Digital Storage & Education Software (Education Code section 49073.1), Whiteboard.fi will abide to the following:
1. Student records obtained by Whiteboard.fi from an educational institution continue to be the property of and under the control of the educational institution. The educational institution retains full ownership rights to the personal information and education records it provides to Whiteboard.fi.
2. Whiteboard.fi users may retain possession and control of their own generated content by downloading it to their devices.
4. Parents, legal guardians, or eligible students may review personally identifiable information in the student’s records and correct erroneous information by contacting their educational institution. Additionally, Whiteboard.fi users may access, correct, update, or delete personal information in their profile by signing into Whiteboard.fi, accessing their user account, and making the appropriate changes.
5. Whiteboard.fi is committed to maintaining the security and confidentiality of student records. Towards this end, we take the following actions: (a) we limit employee access to student data to only those employees with a need to such access to fulfill their job responsibilities; (b) we conduct background checks on our employees that may have access to student data; (c) we conduct regular employee privacy and data security training and education; and (e) we protect personal information with technical, contractual, administrative, and physical security safeguards in order to protect against unauthorized access, release or use.
6. In the event of an unauthorized disclosure of a student’s records, Whiteboard.fi will (1) promptly notify Users unless specifically directed not to provide such notification by law enforcement officials. Notification shall identify: (i) the date and nature of the unauthorized use or disclosure; (ii) the Private Data used or disclosed; (iii) general description of what occurred including who made the unauthorized use or received the unauthorized disclosure; (iv) what Whiteboard.fi has done or shall do to mitigate any effect of the unauthorized use or disclosure; (v) what corrective action Whiteboard.fi has taken or shall take to prevent future similar unauthorized use or disclosure; and (vi) who at Whiteboard.fi the User can contact. Whiteboard.fi will keep the User fully informed until the incident is resolved.
7. Whiteboard.fi will delete or de-identify personal information when it is no longer needed, upon expiration or termination of our agreement with an educational institution with any deletion or de-identification to be completed according to the terms of our agreement with the educational institution, or at the direction or request of the educational institution.
8. Whiteboard.fi agrees to work with educational institution to ensure compliance with FERPA and the Parties will ensure compliance by providing parents, legal guardians or eligible students with the ability to inspect and review student records and to correct any inaccuracies therein as described in statement (4) above.
9. Whiteboard.fi prohibits using personally identifiable information in student records to engage in targeted advertising.
The company will attempt to provide the service in the best way possible without interruptions, the user understands and agrees that the service is provided “as is” and “as available”, without any express or implied warranty, condition or assurance of any kind. This means that the company does not represent or warrant to you that: the use of the service will meet your needs or requirements. the use of the service will operate in an uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error-free manner. the information provided by the service will be accurate or reliable. any imperfections in the functionality of the service will be repaired or corrected. You are using the service at your own risk and for your own account. Any resources downloaded or otherwise obtained through the use of the service is done at your own discretion and risk, and you are solely responsible for any damage to your devices for any loss of data that may result from the download of such resources. The company makes no representations and disclaim any warranties or conditions of satisfactory quality, merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement. Neither the company, its licensors nor partners resources warrants that the service is free of malware or other harmful components. In addition, the company makes no representation nor does it warrant, endorse, guarantee, or assume responsibility for any third party applications (or the resources thereof), user content, or any other product or service offered by a third party on or through the service or any hyperlinked website, or featured in any banner or other advertising. You understand and agree that the service is not responsible or liable for any communication between users or any transaction between you and third parties through the service. No information or advice, whether expressed, implied, oral or written, obtained by you from the company shall create any warranty, guarantee, or conditions of any kind, except for those expressly outlined in these Terms of Service.